Monday, March 24, 2014

The life and death of Stamping

"Try Stamping" they said. "It'll be fun" they said. THEY LIE. I'm a hardcore nail-art fan, and have always done my nail art free-hand. Sometimes it looks like a piece of art, sometimes it looks like a piece of fart. I decided to try my hand in stamping because so many girls I know are completely addicted to it. I figured, how hard can it be? slap some polish on a plate, scrape, stamp, transfer. My dogs could do this blind folded.


I started off picking up this "As Seen on TV" stamping kit at the dollar store for $3.00, because seeing as how I've never done this, I figured I'm not going to invest in something I have no idea what I'm doing with. It came with all the tools I needed, and 5 stamping plates to chose from. 

Since I'm still sporting last week's mani, and it is perfectly in tact, I decided to stamp onto my accent nail and preserve my most beautiful color, Rae. I thought it would look adorable to zebra print onto my nail. So I picked a color and set out. Slathered on the polish, scrape.

Um. Yea that's about as far as I got. Why? Because the dang scraper scraped off all the polish from my plate repeatedly every time I tried, and I got very upset that I was wasting so much polish. 

So that was that. I gave up. What also discouraged me was the 0-3yrs old label. That lead me to believe that any child or adult over the age of 3 should be able to figure this crap out. I'm 36. Do the math.

I'll be returning to my normal free-hand nail art and giving this little bobble of displeasure to the first person who manifests interest.

**EDIT**

A brilliant and awesome reader, Amberley, pointed out there is a protective film on the stamping plates. The logic behind it escapes me, but there is, indeed, after much picking and prying, a film over the plates. Something that would be awesome had they included that part in the instruction sheet they included. With my luck, it was included and I missed it. I swear, I'm not a ditz. This NEVER happens to me. 


**EDIT Part 2**

I'll try my hand at this ONE.MORE.TIME for Amberley tonight and let you all know how this goes. Wish me luck.

12 comments:

  1. Did you take the plastic film off the stamping plate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg there's a film?? I swear I'm not an airhead!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other plates have a blue film over them to help avoid scratches in transit. The fact that these are not colors, but clear makes it completely ok for you to have missed it! (Side note: I missed it too, which is why I suggested it. Hehe!!!)

      Delete
    2. Honestly I think you pointing this out to me just made this blog post that much funnier! Thank you so much HAHA!!

      Delete
  3. lmao thanks for the laugh!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Si ça peut te consoler même en ayant enlevé le film, moi je suis toujours mauvaise!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On verra ca ce soir, comment ca va aller. Souhaite moi merde!!!

      Delete
  5. Ha ha ha! Oh that made me giggle. I'm jealous you got it for such a cheap price though...I bought mine at the Women's Show back about 5 years ago and I seem to remember dropping over $30 on a kit. Silly price to pay for such a novelty. Came with polish too, and I find that the polish that it came with works MUCH BETTER than any other polish in transferring the design. Make sure your polish is very matte, and somewhat thick/opaque.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh mah gawd $30.00!!! I'd be crying under my bed right now.

      Delete
  6. If it doesn't work with this set, don't give up. I couldn't get these plates to work properly either! BUT I have tried other ones that have worked beautifully, I'm not a amazing stamper by any means yet, but it really does have it's place :)

    ReplyDelete